Approval seeking behavior
Below is a list of some things people do when approval becomes the idol in their life. Take the rest of the week and look at your interactions. Looks for these things in your life. See if you have any of these and what you might do to remove them.
- Changing or softening your position because someone appears to disapprove.
- Paying insincere compliments
- Feeling upset or worried when someone disagrees with you
- Agreeing even when you do not.
- Doing something you don’t want to do because you’re afraid to say no.
- Failing to complain when you have received poor service or an unfit product.
- Spreading gossip and bad news to attain attention.
- Asking permission when it is not required.
- Constantly apologizing for your words when others have not expressed disapproval.
- Pretending to know about something you don’t instead of admitting you don’t know.
- Attempting to coax people into paying you compliments and getting upset when they do not.
- Behaving in a non-conforming manner in order to draw attention to yourself.
Approval seeking behaviors can run deep. Sometimes they can even put us in opposition to God. take time to make sure that approval is not your idol.