Since this week’s message is quite personal and even pretty agonizing to many of us, I’d like to give you some space to listen to the Holy Spirit instead of me. I’m including the scripture I used in the message and then I’m gonna give you some questions that continue to be helpful for me in the battle for my health. We will conclude Friday with a Scripture I didn’t include in the message but that is so important for us to apply this for the rest of our lives because it really comes down to where we will go to get our needs met. They are pretty deep questions so I recommend not moving quickly, but rather thinking on them and asking the Holy Spirit for some help with them.
Genesis 25:29-34 – Once when Jacob was cooking stew, Esau came in from the field, and he was exhausted. 30 And Esau said to Jacob, “Let me eat some of that red stew, for I am exhausted!” (Therefore his name was called Edom.[e]) 31 Jacob said, “Sell me your birthright now.” 32 Esau said, “I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?” 33 Jacob said, “Swear to me now.” So he swore to him and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew, and he ate and drank and rose and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.
- When it comes to food what do you want badly? Resist the urge to generalize—comfort, control. Instead, be as specific as the possible?
- What do you feel deprived of? What have you complained about? What does it reveal about your heart toward God?
- How have you questioned God’s motives toward you because you aren’t as healthy as you expect He should allow you to be?
- How about when you had some success but then a relapse that you weren’t expecting?
- To what food temptations have you given a free pass to come and go as they please?