What Is A Community Group?
Community groups are the heart of Origins Church. They are the main vehicle for discipleship, care, and mission as well as the best way to get plugged into the life of Origins Church.
Community Groups are simply broken people (about 10-15) who have experienced God’s outrageous grace living life together in order to grow in the gospel (Discipleship), care for the needs of one another (Pastoral Care), both spiritually and physically, and reach each others neighbors, co-workers, friends, family, classmates, and so on with the life giving gospel of Jesus Christ (Mission).
We believe that all of these (discipleship, pastoral care, and mission) are best done in the context of a family journeying through the brokenness and beauty of life hand in hand.
In short, Community Groups are the context in which we at Origins Church live out our identities as worshipers, family, servants, disciples, and witnesses in everyday life in our particular neighborhood/s.
Why Do We Have Community Groups?
We are passionate about Community Groups for six biblical reasons:
1. We are created for community. As people made in God’s image, we are made for relationships—with God and others. We were created to live life together. (Genesis 2)
2. We show off the beauty, power, and saving grace of God in community. Community is one of the most palpable expressions of the saving power and unifying power of the gospel to an onlooking world. (Ephesians 2:7, 11-22)
3. We are restored to live life in community. Sin distorts and destroys community and leads to isolation from God and others (Gen. 3:7-13). Our Relationships are full of brokenness , conflict, division, and chaos. However, as people saved by grace, we are made new and restored to live life as it was meant to be lived, together as part of the family of God. Community is a blood bought gift of God’s grace and Jesus gives us the ability to experience life as God intended, in real community with Him and one another. (1 Peter 2:9-12; Acts 2:38-47)
4. We are cared for in community. As people cared for and comforted by our heavenly Father, we are compelled to love others in the same manner. Community is best context to live out the “one another” commands of the New Testament. How could we love one another…serve one another…be patient with one another…” without being deeply invested in ones another’s lives? (Ephesians 5:1)
5. We are transformed in community. As people who are on a journey of change, we are transformed by the grace of God through caring relationships found in community. (James 5:16)
6. We are released on mission into the world in community. As people who have received the redeeming love of Christ, we show our love of God through sharing the good news and doing good deeds so that others may praise Him. (Ephesians 2:10; 1 Thess. 2:8)
What To Expect?
Community Groups normally consist of 10-15 people (yes, kids are most definitely welcome). They will meet one night a week or on the weekend. To be clear community groups are not merely a bible study or a once-a-week small group. Though they do include these elements, community groups are all about life-on-life.
As a community group we will share meals together, have meaningful conversation about life and the bible, laugh, weep, enter into the needs of our neighborhoods, and pray. It is a time where we have the privilege of stepping into each other’s lives and point one another to Jesus Christ. You do not have to be a member of Origins Church to be a part of a community group. All are welcome!
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT COMMUNITY GROUPS AND OR IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING A GROUP GO TO OUR NEXT STEPS PAGE AND FILL OUT THE COMMUNITY GROUP FORM!